Macaroons with lemon buttercream
- Serves: 8
- Ready in: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Icing sugar, 300g
- Ground almonds, 100g
- Caster sugar, 50g
- Egg whites, from 2 eggs
- Lemon juice, 1 tsp
- Vanilla extract, 1 tsp
- Pink food colouring, 4 drops
- Unsalted butter, 150g
- Lemon extract, 1 tsp
- Begin by preheating your oven to 150ºC. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Pour half (150g) of your icing sugar and almonds into a blender and give them a whizz. Sift into a large mixing bowl and add your food colouring.
- Now make your meringues. Add your egg whites to another mixing bowl and pour in the lemon juice. Whisk together until you get soft peaks. At this stage, you can add in your sugar a teaspoon at a time, still whisking to incorporate. Add your vanilla extract and whisk hard until you have quite firm peaks.
- Gently fold your meringue mixture into the almonds. Keep folding to combine, all the while allowing your mixture to become thinner.
- Now pour your mixture into a piping bag. Don’t worry if you don’t have one: pour your mixture into a clean resealable sandwich bag. Squeeze it into one of the bottom corners and cut off about 1cm from the end to recreate the piping bag at home.
- Pipe circles of the mixture onto the greaseproof paper, no bigger than 2 or 3cm wide. Leave the same distance between each piped circle. To form their traditional crust, leave your macaroons to sit on the lined baking trays for 15-20 minutes before putting into the oven.
- To bake your macaroons, place them in the oven for 20 minutes. When cooked, remove from the tray and allow to cool on a baking rack.
- Whilst cooling, you can get on with your buttercream filling. Beat your butter with a wooden spoon in a mixing bowl until it becomes lighter and creamy. Next, add the other 150g of icing sugar and gently beat in. Once combined, you can add in the lemon extract. Taste your filling at this point - you may prefer to add more lemon extract or sugar.
- Sandwich two macaroon circles with a teaspoon of the buttercream filling and serve.